Yellow, weak-area willow trees - Knowledgebase Question

Sigurd, Ut
Question by shwheel7
November 22, 2009
I have two Globe Willows that had many yellow leaves, weak branching. My Golden weeping willow is much better, but not perfect. What do I this spring to help this?

November 22, 2009

The most common causes of yellowing foliage in willows is overly saturated soils, or iron chlorosis. Chlorosis is caused by soil pH that is too high or too low, resulting in trace elements, especially iron, being bound up and not accessible to the roots. This condition can also be caused by poor drainage, meaning too much water is around the roots, or impacted soil from foot traffic or construction. You might try applying Ironite in the spring (in amounts as recommended on the label). Be careful with your watering, too, so that the soils do not remain saturated for long periods of time. Good luck with your trees.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"