Some strange stuff with my squash plants - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
November 23, 2009
My winter squash plants have a

November 23, 2009

0

What you describe sounds like symptoms of squash vine borer damage. The sap you're seeing is the squash vine's reaction to the damage from feeding inside the vine. The key to squash vine borer management is controlling the borers before they enter the stem. Once inside the vine, insecticidal control is ineffective. Home gardeners may have some success with deworming the vines. At the first signs of the sawdust like frass, vines can be slit lengthwise near where the damage is found and the borers removed. The stems should be immediately covered with earth. Sanitation is also important. After harvest is complete, vines should be removed from the garden and composted to prevent the remaining borers from completing larval development. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "