Poinsettias - Knowledgebase Question

Washington, Di
Question by cej7401
November 23, 2009
I got a large poinsettia from Home Depot about a week ago. It seems to be dying already. The leaves are droopy, and a few of the stems have fallen off. I checked the soil from day one, and its moist. What is going on?

November 23, 2009

Poinsettias thrive in sunny indoor sites, in average household temperatures. They are sensitive to drafts or sudden temperature changes, and prefer moist (but not soggy wet) soils. If any of these conditions are not met, the plant will react by wilting, dropping leaves, and dying. If you didn't protect the plant by placing a bag over the leaves when you transported it from the garden center to indoor your home, it's probably showing some stress. Make sure you are not overwatering. (Wilting can be a sign of overwatering as well as underwatering.) For large containers, wait until the soil is dry down an inch or so before watering. Try placing it in a sunny window; it may regain its health. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"