wild strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

Montgomery Village, Ma
Question by wedbergg
November 23, 2009
How can I get rid of wild strawberries in my lawn. They are spreading and taking over.

November 23, 2009

0

If the area is not too large, the safest way to get rid of the unwanted strawberries is to dig them out with a small dandelion type weed fork. Then make sure the turf left behind is well watered so it will naturally fill in the bare spots. Always mow high--2 to 3 inches--to shade out small weeds and keep weed seeds from germinating. A thick lawn will prevent weeds from taking over. If the area is too large to hand weed, try a broadleaf weed killer, such as 2,4-D, that is specifically made for lawns. Many times they come in combination with a lawn fertilizer, a feed and weed option. Follow directions carefully. Fall is the most effective time to use weed killers. I'd first try hand pulling the weeds and use the chemicals as a last resort.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"