wild strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

Montgomery Village, Ma
Question by wedbergg
November 23, 2009
How can I get rid of wild strawberries in my lawn. They are spreading and taking over.

November 23, 2009

If the area is not too large, the safest way to get rid of the unwanted strawberries is to dig them out with a small dandelion type weed fork. Then make sure the turf left behind is well watered so it will naturally fill in the bare spots. Always mow high--2 to 3 inches--to shade out small weeds and keep weed seeds from germinating. A thick lawn will prevent weeds from taking over. If the area is too large to hand weed, try a broadleaf weed killer, such as 2,4-D, that is specifically made for lawns. Many times they come in combination with a lawn fertilizer, a feed and weed option. Follow directions carefully. Fall is the most effective time to use weed killers. I'd first try hand pulling the weeds and use the chemicals as a last resort.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"