lawn preperation - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by gospel91
November 23, 2009
Now that it is the beginning of fall. How do I prepare my lawn for the spring/summer IE fertilizer/weed control especially crab grass and other weed

November 23, 2009

0

You can use a winterizer fertilizer on your lawn now. Hand pulling the existing crabgrass will help and applying a pre emergent herbicide in late winter or early spring should keep it from sprouting next year. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over 6 weeks. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but won't kill the newly sprouted seedling. Late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. Proper lawn maintenance practices limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "