desert plants - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, Ne
Question by sullivanstur
November 23, 2009
what are the best plants to have in pots? I live in a apt. and I also live in the Las Vegas, nv. desert. I like flowering plants. and other plants with color in the leafs.

November 23, 2009

0

Plants in containers can suffer from excessive heat and cold because their roots are above ground so keep an eye on them and water when necessary and protect them if ice or snow is predicted. Some of the best heat resistant plants for your region include the following:
Annuals: African daisy, gazania, geranium, lobelia, French marigold, petunia, phlox, Shirley poppy, snapdragon and sweet pea. Perennials: blackfoot daisy, carnation, columbine, globe mallow, gaura, hollyhock, penstemon, ruellia, salvia and statice. Interesting wildflowers to plant: bladderpod, California poppy, desert bluebell, desert marigold, desert sunflower, gaillardia, justicia, Mexican gold poppy, owl's clover and tidy tips. You can even plant flowering bulbs in your containers. November is a good time to plant: anemone, Bermuda buttercup, butterfly iris, cape tulip, crocus, daffodil, Dutch iris, hyacinth, lady tulip and ranunculus.

Enjoy your container garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"