cukes - Knowledgebase Question

Englewood, Fl
Question by scorpiovowom
November 24, 2009
I have cukes planted from seeds and they form a small cuke and then they dry up, The leafs also have some sort of white stuff on them. Please let me know what to do. Thanks

November 24, 2009

When fruit aborts on a cucumber plant it's almost always due to lack of pollination. This time of year you may not have adequate insect activity to transfer pollen from one open flower to the next and the result is that the fruit begins to form but then dries up before it can mature. You can try hand pollinating the open flowers. Use a small paint brush or a Q-Tip and visit each open flower to transfer pollen. Of more concern is the white stuff. Sounds like powdery mildew and once a plant is completely involved, it usually dies. If only a few leaves are involved, you can pick them off the plant to stop the spread of the disease. If the entire plant is involved, you may be able to save it with fungicide applications. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"