Early bulb growth - Knowledgebase Question

Uxbridge, Ma
Question by lburnat
November 26, 2009
I live in Massachusetts and we are having a warm November which is causing my spring bulbs to grow. Is there anything I can do to stop the growth?

November 26, 2009

Premature growth is not all that unusual with bulbs when the weather doesn't stay cold. The good news is that they will stop growing when the weather cools down again and will remain in a state of suspended animation all winter long. The foliage is tough and will be okay when exposed to snow and ice but I alway throw a layer of protective mulch over the tops of mine. You can use pine needles or pine boughs, straw or shredded leaves over the foliage and just brush it away in the late winter/early spring when it's time for the bulbs to grow. Best wishes with your spring flower display!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"