reflowering amaryllis in FL - Knowledgebase Question

Palm Bay, Fl
Question by WeR1in2001
November 27, 2009
I received an amaryllis last year as an Xmas gift. It has been potted outside and continues to grow vigorously. What should I do to get it to reflower? There are no signs of going dormant or dying leaves.

November 27, 2009

0

Your amaryllis won't flower again until after it has gone dormant which, believe it or not, it will eventually do. The foliage is busy transporting energy back to the bulb so you'll want to leave it alone until it finally turns yellow and dries up. I suspect it will be when your weather cools off this winter - probably January. After the leaves yellow and wither away, cut them off and allow the bulb to rest for a few months. It will produce a flower and then some new leaves. Just be patient with your amaryllis!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"