Ferns - Knowledgebase Question

Doerun, Ge
Question by Libertyhillg
November 27, 2009
I bought some Maucho ferns back in the summer form H/D. They have really taken off. Do I need to bring them in for winter? How do I or do you trim them back? Thanks

November 27, 2009

Nephrolepis biserrata is your Macho Fern and it is hardy to USDA zones 9 and above. Your zip code places you in zone 8 which is on the cooler end of its growing range. To be absolutely safe you can pot them up and take them indoors for the winter. If they are planted in a relatively protected place where frost won't nip them (under trees or planted with evergreen groundcover or even surrounded by shrubs), they will probably be okay outdoors. You can cover them with pine boughs or straw if the weather threatens to drop down to freezing. Best wishes with your ferns.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"