brown patches in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Myers, Fl
Question by rogolfer88
November 27, 2009
my nice 2yr old floratam lawn has a growing brown streak through it and I've been told its probably cinch bugs but I cant see any???

November 27, 2009

Without seeing the turf, it's hard for me to diagnose. If there are cinch bugs they should be evident. Simply scrape your foot over the healthy lawn next to the damaged turf. Cinch bugs will usually jump up onto the top of your shoe. They may not be in the damaged area but in adjacent areas so give this test a try. If you cannot find cinch bugs, the problem might be a fungal disease. Grease Spot can effect all grasses in humid climates and can be recognized by the slimy-brown patches that often have a white, cotton-like fungus around it. Grease Spot gets its name for the "greasy" appearance it makes while matting together and can appear in streaks across the lawn. If you're not convinced this is the problem, your best approach is to dig a sample of both the affected turf and some healthy turf next to it, bag it up and take it to your local cooperative extension office for inspection. Helpful folks there can diagnose the problem and suggest treatment options. The extension office is located at: 3406 Palm Beach Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33916-3736 phone (239) 338-3232. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"