BLOOD RED BANANA PLANTS - Knowledgebase Question

HOBBS, Ne
Question by MLLS08
November 27, 2009
OUR BANANA PLANTS ARE LOOKING SO SAD. THEY ARE IN CONTAINERS. THEY LOOKED SO GOOD IN THE SUMMER BUT WITH THE NIGHTS DROPPING TO FREEZING ARE NOW LOOKING BAD. DO WE NEED TO BRING THEM IN FOR THE WINTER OR DO I CONTINUNE TO COVER THEM?

November 27, 2009

0

Blood Red Banana plants are considered hardy to zone 8 and your zip code places you in zone 7. Unless the plants are in a protected spot outdoors, they may not be winter hardy. This is especially true for plants in containers because the roots will be subjected to cold temperatures. Although the tops of the plants will die down at the first frost, the roots can remain hardy if you mulch over the tops. I've had good luck in making a cylinder out of chicken wire to place over the plant, cutting the dead stems and foliage off after frost and then filling the cylinder with compost, shredded leaves, straw, etc. to help insulate the stub of the stem and the underground roots. You might try this. Be sure to sink the pots into the earth to provide additional root protection. Or, you can simply take the plants indoors. Either way they should survive the winter weather. Best wishes with your banana plant.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"