Care of my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Woodland Hills, Ca
Question by shirleygreen6
November 28, 2009
I live in the San Fernando Valley, CA 91364. Can you please tell me if I add seed and fertilize my lawns now? I have one lawn which is St. Augustin and want to change the other lawns to that too. Should I just add St, Augustin seed winter and spring? Thank you.

November 28, 2009

St. Augustine seed is not readily available but sod, plugs and sprigs are. I don't think overseeding is an option if you want to grow St. Augustine in other lawn areas. Bermuda seed is available, though, if you would like to overseed your current lawns with a warm season grass. If not, the best approach is to remove the other turfgrasses (a sod cutter can be rented) and then install sod, plugs or sprigs of St. Augustine. As for care, St. Augustine is a warm season grass that will remain green until the weather cools. At that point it will go dormant and either turn brown or simply stop growing. You can wait until late winter or early spring to apply a fertilizer. That's when the turf will be actively growing and will be able to use the nutrients. At that time you'll want to apply a pre-emergent herbicide to keep crabgrass from sprouting in your lawn if you've had problems with crabgrass in the past. If not, an application of pre-emergent is not necessary. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"