Tomato Pests - Knowledgebase Question

Steinbach, MB
Question by loswald9
I have a tomato patch, about 80 plants in my garden, and some animal is taking bites out of the almost ripe tomatoes. I can not figure out what animal, would do this. I lose about 6 tomatoes every couple of days. Would you know what animal might do this and how to stop this. I"ve had a garden for many years and this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

0

Slugs could be the culprits - look for a slime trail. The second choice of critters is the raccoon. He's usually responsible for single bites out of ripe corn, tomatoes or squash. Try to identify the garden raider by raking the soil smooth around the plants and dusting the area with plain old flour. If a critter visits your garden, you'll have a perfect footprint and will be able to identify him. Control will depend upon what's actually taking bites out of your tomatoes.