spindly vegtable plants and what insecticide - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
December 2, 2009
Our Romain lettuce and broccoli plants are growing tall and spindly...I fertilize once per week..am I over doing it? Also what insecticide should I use for collard greens and squash...I have been using Fertilome borer, bagworm,leaf miner. Thank you

December 2, 2009

0

Spindly plants are probably not getting enough sunshine - or you are forcing growth with too much fertilizer. I'd hold off on feeding. Once a month should be sufficient if you are using a liquid fertilzer; once every 3 months if you are using a time release or granular fertilizer. You didn't mention whether or not you amended your soil prior to planting. If not, your plants may be having trouble establishing their roots and won't be able to use the fertilizer you are applying. Before planting again, amend the soil with compost to loosen and enrich it. Your plants will thank you! When soil is rich and moist, roots can penetrate deeply. A healthy root system will result in lush plants. Fertilome is quite effective in controlling vine borers, leafminers and bagworms. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Best wishes with your veggies!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "