Frangipani - Knowledgebase Question

Englewood, Fl
Question by bswab1
December 2, 2009
my plant will blume then it gets an yellow-orange powderymildew(?) under the leaves which dries them out and they fall off. What is it and what can I do to stop it?

December 2, 2009

0

What you describe sounds like a disease called Frangipani rust (Coleosporium plumierae), a fungus that causes early leaf drop in the fall and winter. Once a leaf has become infected, there is nothing that can be done for that leaf, and it will infect new leaves. Control begins with raking up and disposing of all infected leaves your household waste. 3 or 4 applications of a copper fungicide spray at 2 to 3 week intervals can help break the rust cycle. Fungicides will allow the leaves to stay on the tree a few weeks longer, allowing it to store more food reserves and return from its winter dormancy with a stronger growth rate. As Frangipanis are normally deciduous, they will lose their leaves anyway as the cooler months approach and the problem will not reappear until the wet season the following year. The good news is that rust does not affect Plumeria flowers.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"