amaryllis dormancy - Knowledgebase Question

Waukegan, Il
Question by tink53c
December 4, 2009
What do I do w/my amaryllis plant now that I have brought it (in pot) back into the house for winter. Still has long green leaves but never bloomed.

December 4, 2009

I think your amaryllis is quite confused. Usually they flower, then develop leaves. The leaves remain all summer and then die off so the bulb can rest. Then, when you take it indoors the first of December, it should develop a flower and then foliage, which will remain on the plant all spring and summer. I think now that it is indoors you'll just need to wait until the leaves die off naturally and then store the bulb for a few months. It will probably flower out of season but if you keep moving it outdoors in the spring and back indoors the first of December, it should eventually get back on the proper schedule.

Here are some general guidelines for growing Amaryllis indoors: These bulbs grow best in bright light at temperatues of 60F - 70F. Plant so only one-half of the bulb is buried in the soil. The flower stalk will emerge first, followed by two or more leaves. After flowering, cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. In the spring, place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer, when the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, bring the plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. Around the first of December, repot and bring it into a bright room . Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves will emerge from the bulb. When the weather warms in the spring, take it outdoors again to repeat the process.

Best wishes with your amaryllis!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"