Pecan tree leaf falling overnight - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by murralis
December 5, 2009
We had a very early hard freeze last night here in San Antonio, TX. I have a large pecan tree in my side yard that still had most of its leaves. The leaves had started turning yellow but most were light green. This morning after the freeze, about 80% of the leaves were on the ground. A sea of green. No other trees in our yard did this, however they are not pecan. Is this a sign the tree is dieing?

December 5, 2009

0

It's amazing what an overnight frost can do! Because it's late in the season and your pecan tree was in the process of shedding its leaves (light green, yellow color), the frosty temperatures just hurried the process. It's actually quite convenient when this happens - if they all fall at once they are much easier to rake up! I think your tree will leaf out right on time next spring and the sudden leaf drop isn't anything to worry about.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"