European White Birch - Knowledgebase Question

Pinon Hills, Ca
Question by jimbodw07
December 5, 2009
Hello My name is Jimmie and I was wondering if it's safe to transplant my two White Birches right now. All the leaves have fallen off and we are expecting snow this Monday. Is it safe? Thanks!

December 5, 2009

The general rule of thumb is that you can plant or transplant landscape trees and shrubs anytime the ground is not frozen. The fact that your birches have lost their leaves indicates they are dormant so the digging and transplanting won't bother them in the least. Be sure to water them thoroughly after the move and water deeply once each week as long as the ground is not frozen or there's no snow on the ground. The roots of your trees will establish themselves by spring and they should leaf out right on time. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"