Growing Bitter Melons - Knowledgebase Question

Aiea, Ha
Question by lkn_50
December 7, 2009
I live in Hawaii and I'm trying to grow bitter melons. Why is it that my fruits don't get any bigger than about 4-6 inches before getting too ripe? Are bitter melons an

December 7, 2009

Bitter melon shouldn't be too tricky to grow. The vines need lots of sunshine and lots of water; they are an annual, so you may be planting them at the wrong time of the year to get the best growth - or your soil may need to be amended with organic matter so it will hold adequate moisture and provide the nutrients the plants need. I'd suggest planting them in May so they will have all summer to grow. They have the same cultural requirements as gourds. Long, hot days and ample water and they should be mature in about 3 months. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"