Hibiscus Maintenance - Knowledgebase Question

Honolulu, Ha
Question by whwilsonjr
December 7, 2009
My next door neighbor has Hibiscus Shrubs between the our properties. Unfortunately, over the years he has only trimmed the tops like a hedge. As a result, there is only leaves and flowers on the top and bottom half of the plants show only supporting branches. What can I do to get leaves and flowers growing on my side from the ground up?

December 7, 2009

Regular pruning will keep hibiscus full of leaves and branches. You can rejuvenate your side of the hedge by pruning it back every 2-3 months. Hedge trimmers can be used. The important thing is to remove only about 6 or 8 inches of growth at a time. When the shrub recovers from the pruning and sends out 3-4 inches of new growth, prune it back by another 6-8 inches. Eventually it will develop new leaves and inner stems and be thick and bushy. Just keep at it! Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"