Palm Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Drexel Hill, Pe
Question by sativadw
December 8, 2009
I have about 2 inches back on my palm tree leaves turning brown. I don't water too much and I use plant food. There are new fronds coming up, but the plant tips look unhealthy, can you suggest some help? I would send you a picture, but have to wait to receive your response so I can attach a picture.

December 8, 2009

Wish we could receive photos, but this forum isn't set up that way. However, if you can post the pictures on a photo hosting website such as flickr and send us a link, we can view the pictures. What you describe sounds typical of dry indoor air and/or tap water that contains fluoride or chlorine. Try watering with distilled or bottled water and try increasing the humidity around your palm by setting the pot on or in a tray in which you place a layer of gravel or small stones. Keep about a half inch of water in the tray. As it evaporates it will increase humidity around the plant and the leaf tips should remain green. About the only other cause for browing leaf tips is over fertilization. Even if you are careful when feeding, salts can build up in the potting soil and essentially burn the roots. One way to ensure this does not happen is to periodically leach the soil by immersing the pot in a large container of water (or a bathtub if the pot is very large). Allow the pot to soak for about 30 minutes, then allow it to drain. All of the excess salt should be leached out of the soil. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"