Oleander growing slowly - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by allen1141
December 8, 2009
I plannted several Oleanders about two years ago for a hedge. Since then they have grown perhaps 50% in height and now are about 18 inches high. The area around the plants is decorate rocks. I water once a week and fertlize about one every 3 months. They appear normal in color, etc. Am I doing something wrong? We live in San Diego.

December 8, 2009

Pruning will encourage lots of new growth. Wait until March and prune your oleanders back by about one third. I know it sounds drastic but your plants will develop healthy new grow just below the pruning cuts. Once the new growth is six to eight inches long, prune it back again by about one third. By this time next year your oleanders should be much larger than they are now. Lots of sunshine and adequate water should promote new growth. Best wishes with your oleanders.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"