Challenges - Knowledgebase Question

Toms River, Ne
Question by covic302
December 9, 2009
We just moved to Toms River NJ and had to remove all overgrown shrubery (everything) and a dead street tree. As we were told, the soil here is awful. I'll let my husband take care of the lawn in the Spring, but I want to start plannng the landscape NOW. First, I'm thinkng an October Glory to replace the dead tree. Do you think that will do well here? Any other suggestions?

December 9, 2009

0

The October Glory Red Maple tree, Acer rubrum 'October Glory', is one of the best and most popular of the Red Maple cultivars. October Glory Red Maple trees are excellent for intense fall color and have a medium to fast growth rate. In the spring, red flowers in dense clusters form before the leaves. This Red Maple is an excellent tree for lawn or street planting. October Glory is hardy in USDA zones 5-8 and you are in zone 6B so it should do just fine in your landscape. Another tree with outstanding fall color is Sweet Gum (LIQUIDAMBAR). This, too is a nice sized shade tree, perfect for small to medium yards. Enjoy your new landscape.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"