Desert Rose - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by foxesorchids
December 9, 2009
I have a large Desert Rose, that has white stuff growing on it! Kind of like a lech. It's scalie and I can pick or scrape it off. I've seen it on trees down here. My question, what can I use that wouldn't harm my plant? I know copper products work on that sort of thing, BUT will it harm my plant?

December 9, 2009

I can't tell without examining the plant whether the problem is a fungal disease or if there is a population of mealybugs or soft scales on your plant. Fungicides can control fungal growth but won't stop mealybugs or scale insects so I'd suggest peeling off some of the white stuff and taking it into your local cooperative extension office for diagnosis. Desert rose is sensitive to many sprays, especially those containing oils so I would not recommend using any sprays until you know what the problem is. Helpful folks at the extension office can recommend treatment for the problem.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"