starting a fig tree - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by tbalistreri
December 9, 2009
I was told I could take a branch off a fig tree (white fig)& plant it and it will root & make a new tree. I planted 4 small branches each in 1 gal. containers. The branches were cliped & planted about three weeks ago. They had new leaves & baby figs startig to grow on them - (end branches) As of now, the leaves & figs have dropped off. Will these branches pick up & grow? Tom from San Diego, CA

December 9, 2009

You may have started your fig clippings too late in the season for real productivity . Figs naturally go dormant over the winter months which is probably why they are dropping leaves. Just continue to water on a regular schedule and they should develop new foliage in the spring. Patience is all it should take to get them growing again!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"