Prune/soil treatment - Knowledgebase Question

san diego, Ca
Question by ossmar
December 10, 2009
1) How and when do I prune my Micaela Alba (Spelling)? The tree that has such aromatic blossoms.

2) During rain season, how do I prevent water to collect? Or How do I dry a very moist area. With Gypsum or, what?

Thank you in advance,
maria

December 10, 2009

0

Michelia alba likes moist soil but constantly wet soil can cause problems. It sounds as though you may need to plant yours in a raised mound so the soil will drain well. Winter is a great time to dig and transplant your tree. Pruning is tricky because wounds can develop insect or disease problems. Try pinching out the growing tips of each branch to encourage additional branching and flowering. If you must shorten branches, do it in the early spring, just as new growth begins. Best wishes with your Michelia!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"