parlor palm - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
December 11, 2009
I have a small parlor palm (about 20 in. tall from top of pot) in the foyer that seems to be getting adequate light but I keep losing the fronds from the bottom and it seems lighter green in color than should be.I am afraid to water and fertilize too much especially in winter. what is the correct amount? Thanks. Mary

December 11, 2009

0

It's normal and natural for the lower fronds to turn yellow and then die so the only thing you can do with them is prune them off. If the entire plant looks a little pale, you can feed your palm. The safest procedure is to dilute a water soluable houseplant fertilizer such as Miracle Gro or Peter's by one half the recommended rate. I use one tablespoon per gallon of water to feed my containerized plants. I feed once in the winter and then feed about every 4 weeks from spring through fall when plants are actively growing. By diluting to half strength there is virtually no chance of overfeeding containerized plants. Give it a try and I think you'll see a big improvement in the color of the fronds. Best wishes with your palm!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"