Frost - Knowledgebase Question

San Ramon, Ca
Question by suhasini_kur
December 13, 2009
During spring I got a hibiscus plant it thrived well in my backyard, it use to flower I felt happy. Now bec of snow on Monday and forst on the next 2 days, my hibiscus plant is all wilted so I covered with a garbage bag after couple of day it doesn't look any better. Please tell me what to do I like that plant. How can it survive this winter? Thank You

December 13, 2009

0

Hibiscus is tropical in nature and cannot tolerate frosts but the roots are usually hardy enough to survive in your gardening zone. So the best advice is to remove the plastic garbage bag - it can suffocate your plant - and wait until no more frost or snow is predicted to prune away the winter damage. In the meantime cover over the root area beneath the plant with 4-6 inches of compost, pine needles, shredded leaves or straw to insulate the roots from cold. You can sometimes protect the tops of the plants from a short period of freezing weather by draping an old sheet or blanket over the top of the plant. Be sure to remove it before the sun comes out or you might bake your plant. Best wishes with your hibiscus!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"