pruning - Knowledgebase Question

mukilteo, wa
Question by elainemknapp
December 14, 2009
My gardner wants to prune my lilac and two other trees. We have 34 degrees here now. Is this a bad or good time to prune them?

Thank You

December 14, 2009

0

I would not prune the lilac at this time. Doing so will sacrifice next spring's floral display. Lilacs spend the summer months developing flower buds so pruning has the potential for removing the flower buds. Whether or not other trees can be pruned now depends upon the types of trees. Some can be pruned during dormancy and others prefer pruning in the early spring, just as new growth begins. Wish I could offer more guidance but without knowing exactly what they are, it's difficult to make a suggestion. Good luck with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"