I need advice for my hardy hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Dalton, Ma
Question by lauriemosels
December 14, 2009
I have a hardy hibiscus thats about 5 inches tall.the plant is inside.started off great and growing new leaves.there were 3 leaves at the top,1 turned yellow and fell off the other 2 dried up and are still there.the top inch of the stem turned brown and looks dead. the next inch down is whitish.the bottom looks healthy with new leaf buds,no other leaves.is it dying or dying back for the winter?

December 14, 2009

Things don't sound good for your plant! It may or may not die back for the winter months. It all depends upon the temperature and light. It may think it is spring because it is indoors and may continue to grow all winter. Of more concern is the whitish coloration, which sounds like a fungus. Since you have new growth, I would carefully cut off the dead stem and all of the plant parts with whitish coloration to keep the fungus from spreading. Be careful with your watering. If the soil remains too damp, more fungus can grow. When you water, water thoroughly then allow the top half inch of soil to dry out before watering again. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your hibiscus.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"