variety or no variety? - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, Fl
Question by jancapecoral
December 16, 2009
I am planting oleanders for privacy on side of house (about 60 feet. I've started with 3 (3 gallon) Calypso's from Home Depot (of course). Should I plant different colors or stick with same. Plants are approx. 3 ft. spaced. Suggestions please! Thank you and happy holidays.

December 16, 2009

0

Calypso oleander has cherry red flowers and is an excellent choice for a hedging plant. However, you may have planted them too close together. They can reach 10-18 feet high and wide. Spacing them only 3' apart means they will be quite crowded as they mature. I'm sure you want quick coverage, but removing every other one will provide almost 6' of room for growth for each, which will be better for the shrubs in the long run. Because different types of oleanders grow at different rates you are probably better off sticking with Calypso. If you want a different look you might try underplanting with annuals or perennials for a focal point. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"