Queen Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, Ca
Question by wndywil1
December 16, 2009
I would like to know what would be better to keep them warm in the winter, mulch around the base of the tree or to wrap the tree with burlap? Also should we mulch or put wood chips in every tree that we have?

Also, what would be your suggestion for fruit trees that would do well in the desert. (Lancaster, CA)

How can I keep my patio potted plants from freezing in the winter.

December 16, 2009

0

The Palm should be mulched with a deep layer of fall leaves or wood chips to help protect the roots. It isn't necessary to use this type of mulch on all your trees - only those that are borderline hardy in your growing region. On the other hand, a thick layer of mulch material will help suppress weeds and slow evaporation so placing mulch around all your trees can be useful. After mulching, your Queen Palm can be wrapped in burlap, a spun landscape material such as "remay" or "garden blanket," or even an old sheet or blanket.

Your potted plants will be more vulnerable to freezing because they are above ground. You can either sink the pots into the ground to help keep them from freezing or you can wrap the pots with plastic bubble wrap.

You can grow apples, peaches, apricots, pears, plums, almonds and sweet cherries in your climate. Plan on planting two to ensure cross pollination.

Enjoy your edible garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "