Starting a rose bush - Knowledgebase Question

Schenectady, Ne
Question by sjakubow
December 17, 2009
I have a couple roses from an arrangement from my mother's funeral. What should I do to with them now before I plant them in the ground?

December 17, 2009

0

Roses naturally go through a period of dormancy during the winter months. Yours were probably grown in a greenhouse so the flowering could be controlled. You'll want to gradually subject it to cold but not freezing weather to signal the plant that it is time to go into dormancy. Temperatures of about 50 degrees will slow the growth so a garage or cool basement is a good place to keep it for a few weeks. The leaves will fall off the plant and at that time you can move it to a spot that's about 40 degrees for a week or so. The final stage is exposing it to temperatures of 32 or below. This will ensure it is dormant. You can then plant it in the ground, place a cylinder of chicken wire into which you place dried leaves or straw to insulate it from the cold (or place a rose cone over the plant) and let it winter over in your landscape. Next spring remove the insulation and wire cylinder or rose cone. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"