Fox Tail Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Rotonda West, Fl
Question by bbbanker183
December 18, 2009
Center core of new growth broke off several months ago. No new growth (long stem at top). Some growth in center top of tree. Branches are turning brown. Not dead yet. Don't know cause of problem. Are there any sprays or chemicals recommended to revive tree? Gave it (spray in affected area at top of tree) liquid copper a month ago and 2 weeks ago. Help!!

December 18, 2009

0

I can't tell from your description whether the top blew off in a storm or if it developed a disease and fell off. Either way, if the crown bud, where new fronds are formed was damaged, your palm won't develop any more fronds and is essentially dying. There's really no way to save it because you cannot replace the growth bud. You might want to hire an arborist to inspect the palm before you completely give up on it. Perhaps the growth bud is still intact. I certainly hope so!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"