What Grass to Use?? - Knowledgebase Question

Elgin, So
Question by jemedm
December 19, 2009
Okay, so we moved into a new house that had centipede sod which has died, and I have no idea why. Do I plug/aerate and go with bermuda or reseed with centipede???

December 19, 2009

I wonder if your Centipede lawn is just reacting to cold weather rather than actually died? Centipede is a warm season grass and when the weather cools, it turns brown and does not grow. It does not enter a true dormant state during winter months but can be severely injured by hard freezes which kill the leaves and young stolons. The grass recovers as soon as temperatures are favorable. So, before doing anything drastic, you might want to wait and see if it comes back when the temperatures warm.

Clemson University reports the following turf types do well in your gardening region: Bahia, Bermuda, Carpet, Centipede, Seashore Paspalum, St. Augustine, Tall Fescue and Zoysia. If you decide to overseed with centipede or with bermuda, you can certainly do so. Wait until spring when the weather is warmer and you'll have better success with your seeding.

Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"