bulbs growing in winter - Knowledgebase Question

Dalton, Ma
Question by lauriemosels
December 20, 2009
i have some bulbs i dug up out of my garden in the fall,planted them, and placed in my basement. the basement is cold and dark. about 11 of my bulbs have started to grow(one is a few inches tall), its december, should i leave them in the basement until spring or should i bring them up so they can grow. i dont want to hurt the bulbs or plants. i think they are hyacinths and tulips. thank you.

December 20, 2009

0

It sounds as though your bulbs have finished resting and are ready to grow. I'd bring them up into the house where the temperatures are warm and there's lots of light. I suspect your bulbs will bloom in late January or early February. After the flower is spent you can cut off the flowering stem, but leave the foliage alone until it dies down by itself (this will allow the bulb to store energy for next year's bloom). Enjoy your early flowering bulbs!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"