Mandevilla - Knowledgebase Question

Warrington, Pe
Question by yeongbae
December 21, 2009
Hi, I had brought my 2 Mandevilla's for the winter. It did well for a couple of weeks, but recently seemed to stop growing and was showing withering signs at the ends of the new vines. Close examination showed white, aphid-like bugs in clusters. I don't think it's aphids because the bugs have longer, thin legs than I remember (and they are not green). Can you recommend an indoor pesticide?

December 21, 2009

0

Sounds more like mealybugs or cottony scale than aphids. Either of these insect pests are difficult to control with sprays because the pests have a protective coating (the white you see). I'd dab each and every one with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will kill the pests and in a few days you should be able to peel them off with your fingernail or with a toothpick. Watch for new outbreaks later this winter. Sometimes the juveniles are hard to spot and you may not notice them until they mature. If you find more, just dab them as above. Best wishes with your mandevillas!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"