Solution for backyard slope - Knowledgebase Question

knoxville, Te
Question by bebat6
December 22, 2009
I have a slope that is full of junipers that are infested with bag worms. I want to get rid of the junipers and put in some flowering evergreen groundcovers (no taller than 18 inches) that would be both attractive to the eye and hug the soil. I can sow seeds or install plants. Suggestions?

December 22, 2009

0

If the area is sunny (which it sounds as though it probably is), you might consider growing creeping thyme (tiny purple flowers in the summer), carpet bugle (Ajuga), dense growing with spikes of deep purple flowers in the spring; I mow mine down in the early summer to keep it looking attractive. You might also consider stonecrop (Sedum), Vinca minor - can grow as high as 18", or creeping phlox. I'd plant rather than sow seeds. You can purchase all of these plants in flats and just cut the flats into 36 little squares, then plant them about 10" apart. They should spread quickly and provide great erosion control on your slope. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"