Queen Palm Pruning - Knowledgebase Question

Saucier, Mi
Question by mrthhar
December 22, 2009
I just purchased a Queen Palm that is approx 6 ft tall. One of the branches got broken a good while ago (brown on break) and branches are uneven. Can I cut them back (not severely)- just so they will be even? & if so, when? I live on MS Gulf Coast. I will keep this on my covered deck and really baby it. It was extremely dry and I gave it 2 quarts of water.

December 22, 2009

0

As the fronds age they will turn yellow and then brown. You can safely remove them as they begin to look old and tattered. You can cut the stem close to the trunk (I use a little tree saw but sharp pruners will work just as well). You can remove the broken and dead fronds at any time of the year. Try to leave at least 3 fronds on the palm if possible. When you water, apply water slowly so it has a chance to trickle in and completely wet the soil. Soil in containers tends to dry out quickly so check every few days and water whenever the top of the soil is dry. Just for good measure you might immerse the pot in a larger container of water and let is soak for about 15 minutes or until no more air bubbles escape. Then lift the pot and allow to drain well. I do this once a month or so just to make sure the soil gets completely wet when I water. Hope this answers all your questions. Best wishes with your Queen palm!

Today's site banner is by fiwit and is called "Still Gazing at Stars"