pentas code rv3700002 - Knowledgebase Question

Sarasota, Fl
Question by greerun
December 26, 2009
why have all 8 died that were planted this spring? I used potting soil with composted cow manure.

December 26, 2009

0

Pentas are the journeymen of the flower world because they are easy to grow, dependable, comfortable in full sun or partial shade, attractive to butterlies and bumble bees, and provide a constant show of star-shaped flowers. A native of East Africa, they have erect, slender stems to 4 ft. high.

The tubular flowers come in lavendar, pink, red, white and pink and white stripes. I like the whites and reds planted together. They each set the other off. And, I have one rosey pentas that grows fast and furious. I have to trim it back twice a year. It's also provided numerous cuttings that quickly root and begin blooming within three months.

In Central Florida, pentas are usually grown as perennials but they may act as annuals if the weather gets cool. They don't like cold feet. So if you've given them all their basic requirements but they've died, it's most likely because of the weather.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "