Amaryllis Bulb care after blooming (not in soil) - Knowledgebase Question

Pompano Beach, Fl
Question by ljnwhite
December 27, 2009
I bought an amaryllis bulb at home depot, it came with a glass pot, stones and the instructions said to add water and watch it bloom. It has, but what do I do with the bulb afterwards? Do I keep it in the pot with water? Do I need to plant it in soil? Will it bloom again? Do i need to cut it? Please advise, thank you for your help.

December 27, 2009

0

Amaryllis usually are forced to bloom in the winter time, then are allowed to grow their foliage all spring and summer, then are rested in the fall. In order to bloom again, they need a good growth period so the foliage can build the bulb's strength. Then the dormant period allows it to rest, then repotting and bringing into active growth again triggers blooming. If the foliage does not grow healthily enough or if the bulb is too immature, it will not bloom.

Now that it has finished flowering, cut off the flower stem. Any leaves it produces should be allowed to turn yellow. At that time, stop watering and allow it to die back. Cut off the foliage after it has fully browned. Store the bulb dry at about 55 degrees for about two months. Then pot the bulb up in a container filled with potting soil and bring it into a brightly lit room. Water it water once to start it back into growth. Once it is growing, water enough to keep the soil slightly damp and fertilize regularly with a good quality water soluble fertilizer such as 10-10-10 plus minors. This bulb likes to be crowded and can be kept in a relatively small pot; repot only if truly necessary and use a good quality container mix. When you repot, set the bulb quite high in the soil -- leave the top third of the bulb exposed. I hope this information helps.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"