Leveling lawns - Knowledgebase Question

Prospect Park, Pe
Question by bandbk5170
December 27, 2009
Will rolling a lawn flatten it out. We are experiencing a very bumpy lawn. Very uncomfortable to walk on. Look forward to your reply.
Thank You

December 27, 2009

0

Lots of things can cause a bumpy lawn, from the freeze and thaw of winter and spring to compaction issues to earthworm and other critter activity. Probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil. If you want it to green up sooner you can broadcast grass seeds over the top soil. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Since it's the middle of winter now you can go ahead and spread the top soil, but wait until early spring to reseed. You can seed now but the seeds won't sprout until the weather warms up. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"