agapanthas - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, Ca
Question by jcberge
December 29, 2009
When I had my back yard landscaped 4 years ago I lined it with agapanthas. They have grown to be a lot bigger and are thick. I was wondering what would happen if I cut them down level with the ground if they would come back up in the spring. I live in Sacramento Calif. Thanks Joanna

December 29, 2009

Mowing them down won't really help. It sounds as though your plants have become overcrowded and the remedy is to dig and divide the clumps then replant some of them (give the extra plants away or plant them in other parts of your yard). Here's an easy way to dig and divide: Loosen the roots on the outside, then place a shovel (or use two garden forks) between two clumps and divide them by cutting through the roots. This will make smaller clumps which will be easier to remove.

After digging all the clumps you can divide the clumps into individual plants. Separate the entwined roots of the individual plants by hand or by cutting through them with a sharp knife, pick, or shovel. Keep the nicer plants with good root systems for replanting in your rows.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"