shrubs/plants that deer won't eat - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, Ne
Question by lisasilversm
December 29, 2009
I planted a group of young China Girl and Boy Hollies thinking that deer would not eat them. My house is in Sparta, NJ. They ate the leaves on them plus some new azaleas that were

December 29, 2009

0

I'm afraid that even those plants that are tagged deer resistant will still be vulnerable if the deer population is high and there's lots of competition for food. Your best form of protection is placing a fencing barrier around each of your plants - at least until they grow up a bit. I make cylinders out of chicken wire to place around my plants. Be sure to cover the top of the cylinder with chicken wire, too. Some sprayable deterrents do a good job. Deer Away or Ropel are bitter tasting and deer generally do not browse after getting a taste of foliage treated with these products. You might give one or both a try in your garden. Good luck with your shrubs.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "