Finding the best grass for my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Savannah, Ge
Question by whittle414
I live in Savannah Ga. My backyard has St. Augustine that was suggested to us for its shade and pet tolerance. So far it is NOT tolerant of these things or we are doing something wrong. So, spring is coming and we are composting and aerating the yard trying to get it ready for new seed/sod but what kind? Can we save what we have and add a new type?

0

Of the 3 most popular turf types in your region (St. Augustine Grass, Centipede Grass, and Bermuda Grass), St. Augustine grass is often the most popular choice. St. Augustine grass is native to the Caribbean, Africa and Mediterranean regions, and best adapted to subtropical climates. I is good for coastal regions, thrives in heat, and does poorly in cool climates. It is excellent to fair under drought conditions and moderately good in heavy traffic areas. It is somewhat shade tolerant and can be used in moist, semi-fertile soils.

If you're not having success with it, perhaps the area is too shady. It tolerates moderate levels of shade, but will become thin under dense shade conditions.

'Celebration' is a type of bermuda grass with a high tolerance to shade and holds up well under heavy traffic. Tiffgreen and Tiffway are also good choices for the site you describe. If you don't mind having two different types of turf in your lawn, you can just overseed with bermuda this spring.

Good luck with your lwn!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"