Lawn Revival - Knowledgebase Question

Arcata, Ca
Question by walker281
My lawn was sod w/fescue installed in 1997. Through the years it has slowly been invaded with a finer grass and clover(white flowers). Should I let the clover or finer grass take over or should I start eradicating it now during the winter months? I really don't like the finer grass---the clover is not so bad. Would like to get to only one grass in the lawn area.

If you have more clover than turfgrass, I'd vote for just leaving it alone and allowing the clover to overtake the rest of the grass. The thin grass is probably annual bluegrass, which dies out eventually, providing you keep it from setting seeds. To do this, you'll need to mow it frequently. Sadly, this makes for a labor intensive maintenance schedule. I'd tend to either pull out the clumps of grass to allow the clover to spread and become thick enough to crowd it out, or just learn to live with the grass. Clover makes a terrific turfgrass alternative mainly because it is attractive and low maintenance with the added bonus of fixing nitrogen in the soil - a real plus. Best wishes with your clover!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"