What do to? - Knowledgebase Question

Allen, Te
Question by sheneikafal
I moved in my house in late August of 2009 and I am now thinking about doing some things in the garden. I would like to know if I can still plant fall bulbs now, what to do to prepare lawn for spring, and if it is better to plant flower as oppose to planting bulbs. I have never had to do any outside work since I lived in apartments or with parents prior to buying a house.

It's too late to plant spring flower bulbs - those need to go into the ground in September or October so they can experience about 14 weeks of chilly temperatures - but this spring you can plant summer flowering bulbs.

You can plant bulbs for color every summer or you can plant perennials or annuals, or a combination of them. The important thing to remember about flowers is that they all have preferences for either sun or shade, although some will grow in both. So choose your favorite plants and check the labels to see where they should be planted.

You can prepare your garden beds now by removing all vegetation and spreading a 4-5 inch layer of organic matter over the soil surface. This mulch will help suppress weeds. In the spring dig or rototill the organic mulch into the soil to a depth of 8-10 inches, plant your flowers, then spread another 2-3 inches of organic mulch over the bare soil between the plants. The mulch will help slow evaporation, moderate soil temperatures and suppress weeds.

Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"