help - Knowledgebase Question

Marysville, Ca
Question by kathyhopson
What should I be doing to prepare my soil for spring?

0

You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start now by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. This layer of mulch will help suppress weeds over the winter months. In the spring, dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"