How do I add compost to my plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Temple City, Ca
Question by johnsonsung
Should I just layer the compost on top or should I mix it with the original soil?

0

You can do both! If you're starting with a new bed simply spread a 4-5" layer of compost over the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then plant your plants and spread an additional 2-3" of compost on the soil around the plants to help suppress weeds. At the end of the gardening season you can dig the compost into the soil and replace it with fresh compost. If your bed is already planted, spread 3-4 inches of compost on the bare soil between the plants and dig it into the soil. Compost - or any organic matter - will help loosen and enrich the soil. If you dig in the old compost and add fresh each spring, you will eventually end up with rich garden loam. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"